Monday, December 3, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

So for Thanksgiving this year, we were blessed to be able to go to Heber for a family reunion on Christian's Dad's side. There were 40 people there and it was so much fun to actually get to know some of Christian's Aunts and Uncles and for Tyson to meet some of his second cousins! I left a few days earlier than Christian and got to spend some time with my family before the reunion began. Christian was so nice to drive an extra 3 hours to drop me off at an airport with a direct flight to Utah and still get back to school on time. He's amazing!
Need I say more?? The boys did amazing on the flight! We were so lucky to get an extra seat which made sleeping so much easier!
Christian's mom was so nice to pick us up from the airport. Then we got to spend time with Grandma Sumsion and Sandy. Austin got to open early birthday presents and Tyson got to put together some new puzzles. It was so fun!
My boys slept very well--which I know is uncommon in new places so I felt extra blessed! I love the gap in his teeth!!
My cousins Cheryl and Linda came to see me and let their kids play! It is always so much fun to see them!
Grandma let us help her in the yard. She is seriously the hardest working Grandma to ever exist. She is amazing and I'm so grateful for the blessing it was to grow up near her and learn so much from both her and Grandpa.
Every night my Grandparents read the scriptures together. I love their example and how it's a priority in their lives. They read side by side in these chairs. I told them I thought that was a good idea and Grandma said, "Well when we were younger we would read in bed, and sometimes we'd fall asleep." I just had to laugh because people really are not that different. My grandparents were just like Christian and me when they were our ages. That realization made me feel close to them :)
Most of the Thanksgivings I remember were shared with these two and I absolutely cherish those memories. I remember sleeping over at their house and helping with the turkey, bread, and cranberry salad. I remember playing games at their house and everyone falling asleep on their couches and extra beds! I remember their centerpieces which I loved (one was a native american with hair that grew longer every year!) It was fun to see them at this time of year!
On Tuesday, Tenille was so kind to come and meet us for breakfast at Magleby's Fresh (best syrup in the WORLD) and afterward walk around with the boys and me. I can't believe I didn't snap a picture with my beautiful sister or with Jake and Sadie who came up and spent some time with us. Jake could make Tyson laugh harder than anyone! It was too cute!
By Wednesday we got to pick up Christian from the airport and head to the cabin. It was amazing! The first day, we went out for a walk. Here is Austin's first taste of snow...
Three snowballs in the face later and he decided he wasn't a big fan :) Poor kid!
His new friend Ella lent him his hat to keep his hands warm and he refused to take it off for the rest of that day! On Thanksgiving, there were a ton of pictures taken but none with my camera. Someday when I get the coveted copies I'll have to post them here. Thanksgiving day was amazing. I wasn't much help since Tyson woke up throwing up in the middle of the night. The poor kid! He has been sick every Thanksgiving of his life (except the first one) Anyway, he and I got to watch a lot of movies as we were trying to keep the germs in one place, so I don't think he minded too much.
On Saturday, I got the 24 hour flu (same thing Tyson had) and ended up sleeping at Aunt Patty's for 4 hours. I was so sad to not be able to see Aunt Laurs or play with the family, but I'm glad nobody else got sick! Christian and the boys still had fun!
By that night, I was feeling much better and we were able to go to Temple Square in Salt Lake and see the lights. If you have never been, it is amazing. I love the peaceful feeling there. I know Christ lives and it was fun to share that testimony with my kids.
This was the temple where Christian and I were married for time and all eternity. It is such a beautiful place because of the special promises we made here. It brings back some awesome memories. This was also where he proposed to me the first time :)
Overall it was a great trip. I'm so grateful to have been able to spend time with Christian's siblings. They really do feel like my own family now and I love them! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and I'm so thankful for my Savior, my family, our health, our friends, and for Christian and my two boys. We are very, very blessed! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: