Friday, October 22, 2010

Dad's visit

This past week my dad came out to visit because I requested him to come. he had just recently come out but after seeing my mom and step-dad I had so many angry and sad feelings I just needed to see my dad. The fact that he was willing to come out just to spend time with me made all the difference in the world.

My dad is amazing. I think I could have said anything to him and he would never have gotten up to leave the room. He never even seemed offended. He owned up to things that had been hard for me and was available and open to talk about anything the entire time he was here. We did a lot of talking and it was really good for me.

During one of our conversations, Tyson fell off of his chair in the kitchen and had a bloody lip. I just held him until he felt better but at the same time I felt like that was what was happening to me. After all of this time, I was able to talk to my dad and he just held my feelings for me. Thanks dad!

I'm still just feeling things I don't quite understand but at least they aren't frightening anymore. I think the biggest thing I realized was that even though my home is broken, I still have the pieces in my hands. I have a father and a mother who both love me very much and even though our home will never again be like how it should be in my mind, I am lucky. I can finally trust my dad again. I can move past the past and build with each member of my family a new relationship, a better relationship, and even though I won't do it all at once-I can't-it is too overwhelming. I can, I want to, and I will. I just can't talk about all of my feelings about my family all at once. I'm still feeling them and letting them work inside me. Anyway, that has been my week. Thank you to all of you who had us in your prayers. It has made all the difference in the world to me. The last thing that happened is my testimony of the church has grown stronger. I needed so much help from God to get me through to this point and He has been with me the whole way. I'm so grateful He was there to see me through.

Also, Monday night around midnight I started feeling the results of food poisoning from Wendy's and felt awful! I am so grateful to everyone who helped me out Tuesday! Kim picked my dad up from the airport and I had babysitters available at any time. I am so humbled and grateful to have such amazing friends and support. Thank you again to everyone!

4 comments:

Adespain said...

Oh Shannon, this was beautiful. You are amazing and your testimony of the gospel shines through. You brought me to tears girl! I love ya.

Ann-Marie said...

Food poisoning...oh no!!!!! I've stewed over you all week. I'm so grateful that you've had some peace. I'll keep praying for you.

Tiana Smith said...

That's some serious stuff right there ... Hope you're feeling better.

Harry and Suzanne said...

Sweet Shannon, you are so tender-hearted and deep feeling. Trials and tribulations bring us closer to our heavenly Father as you can first-hand attest to! Sharing your deepest feelings with others is absolutely amazing, and being able to forgive is exactly what our Father wants us to do. What an example you are. And,remember, you are never, ever alone. You truly are loved so very much, especially by your Grandpa and Grandma Tengelsen.