Monday, July 12, 2010

Hospital Stay

So I hate to admit this, but on Friday my son overdosed on Clariton. I took a three minute shower full well knowing that I should have made sure he was upstairs (this is what happens when you don't follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost) and when I was done, my little amazing Tyson had brought me up a cap full of pills and was trying to share with me. Apparently he had already eaten between 20-30 pills (the recommended dose for an adult is one) and the rest were scattered on the floor downstairs. So, I called my mom who told me to call poison control who told me to take him to the nearest Emergency Room ASAP. Tyson seemed fine but by this time I was really freaked out!

After calling Christian four or five times in a row and receiving a text, "Is it urgent?" I was grateful to get him out of class so he could accompany me to the ER. I was in tears on the phone so I think I scared him a bit. When he met us at the hospital Tyson happily said, "Hi Daddy!" which definitely alleviated some of his fears!

We were lucky to not have to wait for a room and they gave him some epinephrine in an IV and some charcoal to absorb the medicine. Then we waited to four and a half hours just playing on the bed. Later they brought us some crackers (I really thought I might pass out from lack of food!) and Tyson shared with me...really he forced them into my mouth! He is so cute!

After a while they said because his heart rate was still too high he would need to stay the night. Luckily our friends the Riggs brought us dinner and the Blairs brought us some pillows and Tyson's lucky blanket. we are so grateful for such great friends! When we returned home the next morning our neighbors the Duncans had brought over some cupcakes (seriously delicious) and some sweet cards for our little Tyson. We are so lucky to have such kind friends! We are also lucky Tyson is on medicaid! Thank you Government!

So, after feeling like everyone was going to chew me out for not watching my only child and me being the only person to do so, I am much more determined to listen to the Spirit when he speaks. I am so grateful my little boy is okay. I am grateful to have another chance with him. Hopefully this will be our last visit to the hospital until the next baby is born!

11 comments:

Tim and Jennifer said...

I am so glad Tyson is ok! I have a friend who's son overdosed on pain meds and ended up ok but had a much longer hospital stay.... sometimes child proof caps don't always work! What a blessing that he is happy and healthy. I hope you get some good rest! And yes, thank goodness for good friends!

Aimee said...

Oh, I'm glad everything turned out okay. Don't beat yourself up, keeping an eye 24/7 on any kiddo seems near impossible. I'm glad you were well taken care of! I agree with your comment, we NEED to hang out soon. When do you find out what you're having? We can have a little celebration party since It's probably right around when we find out.

Cliff and Courtney's Family said...

Oh no Shannon how scary!! Hospitals can be so intimidating, but I am so glad that all is well and that you had support from everyone around. Things like that just happen and no one would ever look down on you!! You are a great mom!! I just wish I was there to have helped but sounds like you were in great hands!

Sarah Steele said...

You're not a REAL mom until you've had to call poison control at least once. Welcome to the club :-)

Brittanie said...

Good grief - how scary! I'm glad that he is okay and that he was a happy little camper throughout the whole ordeal. Things like this could happen to anyone and you are an amazing mom. =)

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad Tyson's okay! Please don't feel terrible about it; these things can happen no matter how vigilant you are. My sister can turn her back on her two-year-old for about a minute and he's up on the kitchen counter playing with the knives. She practically has Poison Control on speed dial for that kid.

You're such an example to me with the way you love your family! And I agree with you--hopefully at the end of your next hospital stay you'll have a new baby to bring home with you!

Adespain said...

Oh Shannon! How scary for you! I am so glad that Tyson is okay and so chipper through it all! What a sweetheart. I'm sure my turn will come eventually. It's only a matter of time with toddlers, right? :)

Julie said...

How scary! I'm so glad that Tyson is well and that nothing worse happened to him. I know one of these days I'm probably going to be calling poison control myself.

Tiana Smith said...

I overdosed on Tylenol when I was little, so it's not just you! It happens to the best of parents. I'm glad that everything is now okay. And wowzers you guys are pregnant again! I'm so excited for you--congratulations! (Sorry for not commenting earlier, I usually check in on blogs about once a month, so, my bad!) Do you realize you guys have been married shorter than us but will have two kids in the time that we have 0? Crazy! LOL.

Heather O'Brien said...

How scary! I'm glad he's okay. Don't beat yourself up. It could happen to anyone. Peyton came running in the other day with a bag of my vitamins saying "candy" too. You're a great mom. And you did a great job on your talk Sunday! You're amazing! P.S. Yes, we should get Tyson and Peyton together. He's adorable.

Brett and Shendi said...

oh shannon i am so glad he is ok. brett says you guys need to come visit. glad he is well