Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bugs Bug!!

I love living in San Antonio. The one thing I do not like (at all) are the bugs. We have strange dirt piles of larvae in our jungle of a backyard, my garden has become overtaken by ants, there are termites digging into our neighbor's fence and more than anything I am deathly afraid of fire-ants! Anyway, here is an awesome spider we found in our pear tree the other day. Today, Tyson and I went on a walk (which was really fun). The best part was finding this amazing Thanksgiving wreath which had been thrown over the side of the road! Seeing as I wasted more than say two hours of my time surfing the net yesterday looking for the perfect home-made wreaths that I could only dream about making, I thought this was a tender mercy of the Lord! The only bad part was as I was fixing it up, Tyson started pointing and humming at this spider that came out of the wreath. Next thing I know, a scorpion jumps out! I was so scared! Christian was a man and took these pictures before swatting it. He's so great! The worst part of our day was going to the library. We went to the library only to find that it was closed randomly until noon (who knew you could just put up a handwritten piece of paper on the door of where you worked and you got to go out to lunch or sleep in a few extra hours?) Well, Tyson had fun putting the books in the book drop and then we sat down in the grass. After maybe three minutes of crawling around, Tyson started grabbing at himself and I realize he is sitting in a fire-ant mound. Ahhh! I hate fire ants! I was so worried I just picked him up, tore off his pants and diaper, and started swatting at the ants on his feet. I was bit three times in this process (armpit, finger, and arm) but Tyson got the worst of it by far. Here is one of his feet. So fire ants are scary because they don't just bite, they grab on to you with their jaws and then sting you with their bum as they rotate around where they've grabbed on to your skin. In my hurry to get the ants away, I just threw Tyson's ant-covered pants and diaper onto the ground right as this man walked by. He shot me a weird look as he saw this frazzled mom holding onto her bare-bottomed kid and throwing his diaper and pants onto the side walk. I felt awkward and I was the one that knew what was going on! So I got back to the parking lot and realized I didn't have any more diapers in my bag! That is usually a very bad thing, but this sweet mom with screaming kids (they were screaming because they were excited to go to the randomly closed library but now had to get back into their car seats) gave me a diaper and told me what to put on Tyson's bites. She was so nice! So we ended up going to CVS and buying baby benedryl and cortisol cream and Tyson zonked in the car. Needless to say, it has been a crazy day! (Although I should be more grateful since Christian was able to come home early and take care of stuff while I took a nap--benedryl seems to have an overcoming effect on me! Thank you Christian!!) Anyway, here is a video of Tyson coming up with more and more reasons why he doesn't have to walk. For one thing, he can already carry anything he wants to where ever he wants to take it!

8 comments:

texansusan said...

Poor Tyson! I totally agree about the bugs here! We tried do-it-yourself pest control for about 3 years before we finally broke down and got a professional. It has been totally worth it! He sprays the yard and house and the kids get hardly any bites now...unless we go away from our house.

The Elledges said...

bugs are nasty! i'm sorry tyson got attacked...i would definitely panic too :) come visit me!

Nicole said...

That's so sad. We hate fire ants too - with a passion. As far as the library, they just got new hours. I took a paper last time I was in there, but can't remember them. Bummer, huh.

Adespain said...

How scary!! I do not do well at ALL with stinging insects. So glad he's okay.

{Steve and Amanda} said...

eww...bugs.

Oh, no problem. Of course I will come. I know they aren't finding out what they are having. So...dealing with color...is there a theme?? If you want to email me details this is my email: amanda.farns@gmail.com

Thanks!

Brett and Shendi said...

oh shannon. yuck! i am all the sudden greatful all i have to deal with is lame spiders, random fruit flies and little tiny house ants that i vacuum up. hope you have no more scorpions and fire ants.

Crist Family said...

I'm so sorry about the ants. What a scary experience and how nice for another mom to take note...once you are a mom you always seem to notice other moms who need a little help because you've already been there and done that.

On a fun note...I love that tyson can carry a water bottle around in his mouth. That is hilarious! Keep the videos coming. He is so cute and it is fun to see what he is up to.

Eisha said...

the smaller the scorpion the more posionis