Saturday, October 10, 2009

Being a mom


Sometimes it is hard being a mom, but I found this poem and it really hit home. It really is the best thing to have a family even if it doesn't seem as exciting as other alternatives.

“She came tonight as I sat alone, the girl I used to be…
And she gazed at me with her earnest eye and questioned reproachfully;

Have you forgotten the many plans and hopes that I had for you?
The career, the splendid fame, and all the wonderful things to do?
Where is the mansion of stately height with all of its gardens rare?
The silken robes that I dreamed for you and the jewels in your hair?

And as she spoke, I was very sad for I wanted her pleased with me…
This slender girl from the shadowy past the girl that I used to be
So gently rising, I took her hand, and guided her up the stair
Where peacefully sleeping, my babies lay innocent, sweet, and fair.

And I told her that these are my only gems, and precious they are to me;
That silken robe is my motherhood of costly simplicity.
And my mansion of stately height is love, and the only career I know
Is serving each day in these sheltered walls for the dear ones who come and go.

And as I spoke to my shadowy guest, she smiled through her tears at me.
And I saw that the woman that I am now, pleased the girl I used to be.

- Author Unknown

5 comments:

{Steve and Amanda} said...

I love this poem! I have never read it before now but it is so perfect for mothers. Sometimes we forget and get depressed about dreams we once had before becoming moms, but we need to remember sometimes that it was worth it. I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to share this on my blog... I know of many mothers who would enjoy reading this. Thanks for sharing this poem!

Adespain said...

So sweet! I love this poem. It certainly does hit home. Thanks for sharing Shannon! YOU are always so amazing!

Harry and Suzanne said...

Truly, a beautiful poem!
Love you Shannon!

Tim and Jennifer said...

I posted it on my blog. I hope you don't mind. You are a great mom and Tyson is sooo cute!

cambersue said...

Hey...so I found your blog! yahoo...i've been wondering if any of you guys had blogs and julie anderson found mine and lead me to a whole bunch of you oldies! dental school...fantastic. we will be done in may and have no idea what the heck we're gonna be doing. i didn't even know you had a little boy...well now i can keep closer tabs on you!