Saturday, May 22, 2010

Gruene Peanuts

For the first time in a long time our family left San Antonio! We traveled to the exotic town of Gruene which is about 45 minutes away from our house and it was fun! Our plan was to find really large belt buckles for my mom's wedding as well as some awesome Christmas and wedding gifts along the way. The town was quaint and I really liked it but we didn't find anything that either we couldn't make ourselves for $20.00 cheaper or was the perfect fit. We'll have to try a different small town!

Anyway, Tyson slept the whole way there and stayed in his stroller the entire time (which is unheard of these days!) While we were in this small shop with samples of salsas, jams, and sauces I gave Tyson a try of some chocolate peanut butter on a cracker. He loves chocolate and so seemed thrilled at first. A few minutes later though he started grabbing at his tongue. He does this when he doesn't like something but this time he was really starting to fuss. Shortly after that he had hives all over his face. His wrist and elbow also were covered. Fortunately for us there was a man and his wife who recognized the symptoms and gave us some benedryl from their car. We were so grateful! Poor Tyson was so swollen! Even his eyelids had hives on them! It was so scary as a mom to see a reaction like that happen so quickly and I had nothing to give him but anti-itch cream. We took him to the car and stopped for some ice cream so he would stop scratching himself. Luckily the benedryl worked very quickly and he was fine the whole ride home.

His aunt Heidi has severe peanut allergies so we have been careful to only give him small amounts. So far he has had a peanut butter cookie, one peanut butter m&m and some candy covered peanuts. The last item gave him welts around his mouth but we weren't entirely sure if that was an allergic reaction. We will no longer be giving him any amount of peanut anything for the rest of his life! I'm so grateful he ended up being okay and for the kindness of that couple in Gruene! Hopefully we will always be able to keep him safe.

7 comments:

Amy S said...

oh man, how scary! I am glad those people were there to save the day!!!

Heidi said...

They have little pre-filled benadryl vials for children in most stores, and they are wonderful to carry around if your child has a severe allergy like that. Russell's cousin's child (hair-dresser's neighbor's ex-girlfriend....) has severe allergies and it's a good thing because we were together when I had a reaction shortly after my purse was stolen and I didn't have an epi-pen or benadryl or anything. I downed about 4 or 5 of the kid vials and saved me a trip to the emergency room! I still haven't gotten my kids tested, I need to go do that. I'm glad Tyson is okay. He'll always be safe eating at my house!! Love you guys!

Eisha said...

that stinks...I think thomas is allergic to shrimp...he and christian can hang out at christmas together and NOT eat the seafood!

Ann-Marie said...

Soooo scary. Our nephew has a nut allergy as well! YUCK!

Julie said...

Oh my gosh, how scary! I'm glad Tyson is ok. I have a little niece with peanut allergies and she never eats anything without asking if it has peanuts in it. I know Tyson is too young for that, but hopefully sometime in the near future he can do the same.

Blooming Adjectives said...

oh my goodness!! I have been terrified to give Arleigh peanut butter for fear of a reaction. I'm so sorry Tyson got one! I'm sure that was very worrisome for you guys! I'm so glad he is ok! Are you guys coming home this summer at all?

Harry and Suzanne said...

Sorry to hear about Tyson, but we are thankful he is okay. No matter where you eat (a friend's home, a restaurant, etc.) don't hesitate to ask if there are any peanuts or peanut oil in any of the dishes.An allegy attack can be lethal. It would be good to have some benadryl with the other arsenal of supplies you take with when you have a little one. Stay safe, and we love you!